Smith Soc's multi-chapter case competition ("Case Comp") provides student chapters with the opportunity to compete against one other to devise a potential business solution to an issue with ethical, political, and philosophical implications. Each year, student chapters may apply to host the competition on their home campus or apply to send a team to compete in the Case Comp. This event was first inaugurated by the BYU Marriott School of Business in 2018.
Winter 2020 Case Comp
The 2020 case will focus on the challenges that international firms, such as Apple, face in regard to tariffs and trade tensions among the United States, China, and Europe. Participating chapters will be announced soon.
Winter 2019 Case Comp
"All About Driverless Cars"
Hosted by our Rice Jones chapter in Houston, Texas, Case Comp 2019 focused on the challenges that driverless cars pose for traditional carmakers.
- UCLA Anderson
- BYU Marriott (2018 winner)
- Columbia Business School
- UVA Darden
- Georgetown McDonough
- NYU Stern
- Notre Dame Mendoza
- Rice Jones (host)
- Yale SOM
2019 Winner: UCLA Anderson
- Runner-up: BYU Marriott
- Third Place: UVA Darden
2019 Keynote: Wendell Walach, Marilyn Fedak
- Sven Beiker, founder of Silicon Valley Mobility and a lecturer at Stanford GSB
- Mark Mills, Manhattan Institute senior fellow
- Alessandro Piazza, Rice University professor
- Stephen Wu, Silicon Valley legal expert
Winter 2018 Case Comp
"Facebook at a Crossroads"
- Baylor (Hankamer)
- BYU (Marriott) - Host
- Chicago (Booth)
- NYU (Stern)
- Rice (Jones)
- UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
- USC (Marshall)
- UVA (Darden)
- Yale (School of Management)
2018 Winner: BYU
- Runner-up: USC
- Third Place: UVA/NYU
2018 Keynote Speaker: Douglas Schoen, political consultant
- Brian Tanner, social media professional
- Eliot Jacobsen, entrepreneur
- Grant Calder, Founder and CEO of Wispeo
- James R. Copland, Senior Fellow at Manhattan Institute
- Scott Kaufman, Managing Partner of Lucid Agency
- Wade Eyerly, Founder of Surf Air and Beacon
Read our full recap of the inagural Case Comp here.